Pages

Pirate Radio? Frozen Bannock Sandwiches?

In March 2005, Northern Styles brought me to the Woodland Cree First Nation to provide technical, office support, and facilitate multi-media workshops for the youth. The community extensively used FRS (Family Radio Service) radios to keep in touch with each other instead of phones. We all have these radios by now huh? I set up a small radio station with my laptop and broadcasted to the whole community on Channel 1 intermittently. Not really pirate as all the people on the channel allowed the broadcast...lol...all 7 of them. I had set-up a WiFi zone too so I was able to move about and DJ. Of course with all my years in Aboriginal radio I had quite a collection except a few older ones. so I thought I would be able to handle any request. Watch you'll see how this didnt work.

Just a snippet of web video taken with my iSight webcam. I overlayed a map of my location with the two roads leading to the community from Edmonton shown on the map. I only had dial up internet....yikes...but was able to maintain Instant Message connectivity and a refeshing image of my webcam on the net for select friends on my MSN and Yahoo messengers. What a fun time up there. I still don't have that "Frozen Bannock Sandwiches" song. If someone sends it to me I wont tell... ;)

Imagine the possibilites of what we can do next?

The Woodland Cree First Nation is by Cadotte Lake and North of Peace River in Alberta Canada.

()___)_________)))~~~(I